Hawthorn Stables – Under Development
Hawthorn Stables will be a BHS and RDA approved riding centre, situated on the outskirts of Durham. We provide educational and therapeutic opportunities for young people who struggle in classroom-based environments and adults suffering with mental health across the Northeast region.
Therapy Through Horses
Our exciting new program is being designed to support adult and young people who are involved in the criminal justice system, suffer from substance misuse, mental health, challenging behaviour and much more…
This program enables and supports people in society to benefit from gaining life’s essential skills such as developing communication skills, self-esteem, emotional resilience, self-awareness, and team playing skills.
What can Hawthorn Stables offer you?
Research has proven being around horses, has the potential to benefit children in many ways. Horse riding is not only a physical activity, but it also offers many essential life skills needed for our young people to gain before transitioning into adulthood.
What we may be able to offer:
- Riding and grooming activities.
- Alternative Education Program for our Young People.
- One to one grooming/riding session.
- Encourage children to plan and work together towards household decisions regarding activities, decoration of the house, purchase of equipment, house rules and sanctions etc.
- Work towards positive outcomes with children, their parents, carers social workers and relevant others.
- Facilitate contact between the children and their family, friends and other relevant people.
- Work in accordance with relevant policies and procedures.
Alternative Education will be opening around the end of XXXXX, running Monday – Thursday between 9:30am – 2:15pm.
The day-to-day routine will be based around horse riding and horse management however we are also able to incorporate sports activities, expressive art, and cooking into our weekly routine for the young people attending.
AE is a fantastic program which enables young people who do not attend mainstream schools to gain the essential skills they need in a non-classroom-based environment.
Our team delivering Alternative Education are fully DBS checked, hold their level 2/3 Safeguarding In both adults and young people, PMVA/restraint trained.
For more information and to read through our booklet about Alternative Education please contact Millhouse.
Residential & Supported Living Settings
We are giving young people the opportunity to be around horse in a therapeutic setting.
Horses can offer an extraordinary amount of emotional support. Equine assisted therapy is becoming more and more popular in helping both adults and young people on the road to recovery.
Working with horses help young people in all areas:
- Social skills
- Developing and maintaining a relationship
- Impulse control
- Trust in others
- We understand the impact of how trauma can have an impact of lives of our young people. Each package can be tailored to suit each young person.